Friday, July 24, 2015

Okay, For Starters

If you were nice enough to click on my Facebook post, you are probably wondering, "Why the heck is Carrie calling herself Jacqueline Lewis?!? What - she thinks herself a real author, deserving an awesome pen name?"

That's not it. I promise. I don't think I'm this super cool author. I realize that I've only written one rough draft of a book and I'm working on my second. I realize that it's going to take a ton of work and time to hopefully be published someday. I'm not trying to be cool.

I realized, though, while writing that first draft of mine that when you write you put so much of yourself into your characters and story, that the name you go by - the name you use to think of yourself as a writer - is so important. The times that I would dream about sending Maura's story to a publisher, I would wonder, "Am I sending this under the name Carrie Lewis or Carrie Jacks?" Even though most people wouldn't struggle with that question, I did.

I am a Lewis, and Lewises feel pretty darn cool about being Lewises.  If I didn't use the name Lewis, it would feel like a betrayal to my family and all that I ever was. But Carrie Jacks is who I am now. Carrie Jacks has been through so much in life that has made me the person I am today. There is an awful lot of Carrie Jacks that goes into my stories.

So one day my sister-in-law (also my very good friend) was over, and we were discussing a book we wanted to write together. Erin was trying to come up with a pseudonym for the two of us by combining our last names, and she said, "Jacqueline Lewis." I instantly latched on to that name and asked Erin if I could steal it.

Jacue for Jacks

line for Lynn, my middle name

and Lewis of course, for Lewis.

It felt so perfect, and it's pretty. I like pretty things.

I also have a couple ideas for some silly stories, like "Don't Believe Anything The Alligator Tells You," that I'd like to write under the name Jackie Lewis, because it's more fun. I like fun things, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment